Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Introducing "The Boog"

I've been feeling the itch to blog lately (mostly due to my buddy Shannon's awesome new mommy blog [mommyhoodtheuglytruth.wordpress.com]), but my food blog (which I swear I will post to at some point in the near future) didn't seem like the right place to talk about what I really want to talk about, so I decided to start a new one.

I have a feeling that I won't have to brainstorm to come up with ideas for blog entries on this blog, because the subject of this blog is my life - my kid, my project, my source of entertainment and woe, 50% of my reasons for getting up in the morning: Rylan AKA "The Boog".

Don't ask me how he got that nickname. I have no idea. All I know is that one day, as his father and I emerged from the first year of parenting haze, we realized we were not referring to our child by his carefully chosen, much-argued about given name. He had become "The Boog". I'm assuming it's some derivative of "booger". Who knows? Those of you who are parents can attest to the fact that you say some crazy, crazy things during that first year and you probably don't remember why you said them afterward. In any case, since I don't remember, I'm laying the blame...er...credit at his father's feet. It sounds like something he would come up with.

Since we had unwittingly created a charming nickname to tease our son with when he's 16 and desperately humorless about all things charming, we decided to go one step further and coin him a nice catchphrase. Our son has endured many large trials that might discourage a lesser baby than himself and encounters many smaller trials daily that he deals with head-on in creative, if often ineffective, ways, or simply ignores and goes about his business. Couple his persevering attitude with the fact that "Boog" sort of kind of rhymes with "dude" and you get: "The Boog Abides" (and if you have no idea what I'm talking about, please, for the love of God, go rent "The Big Lebowski". I'm begging you!).

Yep, he's out there takin' her easy for all us sinners. While his daily adventures may not be as fascinating to others as they are to me, trust me when I tell you that this is one unusually interesting kid. He does things every day that no other kid does - at least no other kid I've ever heard of. I can't tell you how many times doctors, therapists, other parents, Little Gym teachers, and friends have said to me, "Wow...I've never seen anything like that."

So stick around, friends, and let me impart to you the wisdom "The Boog" is daily imparting to me. I have a feeling he has it all figured out in that big boog head of his. Getting him to tell us about it is the hard part!

3 comments:

  1. Love it, momma! Can't wait for BOOG entries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the nickname, and love the kiddo it belongs to! excited to read about your adventures in the world of all things boog :)))

    ReplyDelete